We've been keeping some fan-freakin-tastic company lately here on the blog-with the likes of Jen Weiner, Allison Winn Scotch, Emily Giffin, just to name-drop a few. And this month is no different! Except that we're turning up the It factor. We are so ecstatic that the ultra-hip and hilarious Megan Crane is here answering our 25 Qs! Is she IT or what?
We've had a MAJUH writer's crush on her ever since meeting her in person last year. She's just as witty and sassy in person as she is in her writing! We were also so excited to discover that not only is she one incredibly talented writer, she goes out of her way to support other new and aspiring authors!
Even more importantly, we found out that she shares our unrequited love for Jennifer Garner and Gerard Butler! Can she be any more fabulous?
Megan's books are some of our favorites, and they include, ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE , EVERYONE ELSE'S GIRL, FRENEMIES (Liz's fave, she read it in two days flat!) and NAMES MY SISTERS CALL ME. And for our Romance readers out there, her next book will be out in February 2010, a Harlequin Presents called PURE PRINCESS, BARTERED BRIDE by her alter ego Caitlin Crews!
She literally had us rollin' on the floor laughing at her answers-and we have a feeling you will too! So without further adieu...
Chick Lit is Not Dead presents...
The 25 things readers want to know about Megan Crane
1. Inside my purse, you'll discover: A deep, dark hole that I personally think is the gateway to alternate dimensions. Also: a whole lot of mess.
2. My secret talent is: I can judge a situation with surprising accuracy from across the room. It's like a party trick--one that is especially fun in LA.
3. If stranded on an island, the five things I could not live without are: A ticket on the next plane home, so as not to feel stranded. My iPod which currently holds 322.9 days of music. A Kindle or something filled with books and the option to buy more. A place to charge both those things and, say, a laptop. An adorable little island home. You know, this seems a lot like moving to Hawaii, which I would love to do.
4. On my nightstand you'll find: Stacks of books. Currently: The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan, Pride and Prey by Rachel Vincent (because I want to re-read Pride before I read Prey), the first Fever book by Karen Marie Moning because I'm re-reading that series in anticipation of the newest one that just came out, an Elin Hildebrand novel, the latest JD Robb, the latest Nicci French, Storm Queen and Thorn Queen by Richelle Mead (because I want to re-read... you get the jist), an old Jane Feather novel. An alarm clock, a lamp, and one of the first pictures ever taken of me and my then-boyfriend, now-husband.
5. When I grew up, I wanted to be: A rock star. Or a Broadway star. Or a movie star. The "star" part was non-negotiable.
6. My worst job: I was a customer service representative at a medical laser company. It still makes me wince.
7. My comfort food: I love chocolate. Particularly dark chocolate with sea salt from World Market. I also love Coconut Bliss--ice cream made with coconut milk. Yum.
8. The location where I write: My desk in my office at home. I have written every single one of my 12 published or soon-to-be published books on this desk, as well as my doctoral dissertation. I have Feelings about this desk.
9. Three songs on my IPOD's most played list: Virgin State of Mind by K's Choice, Eldorado by Sam Shaber, Humpty Dumpty by Aimee Mann
10. If I was on the cover of US Weekly, my headline would read: Oh, something scandalous, I hope! Possibly involving Gerard Butler?
11. The three books that make me think of my childhood: Wow. I can't answer this. I discovered my love of reading as a child, and I read and read and read. Maybe the Anne McCaffrey Pern series? I was unheathily attached to those books.
12. My favorite Chick Flick: My most recent favorite: The Proposal
13. My favorite Chick Lit book: My most recent favorites: a toss up between my friend Jane Porter's Easy on the Eyes and my friend Kristin Harmel's Italian for Beginners
14. My "must see" TV: Gossip Girl, True Blood, Burn Notice, 10 Things I Hate About You, Warehouse 13, Supernatural, and British imports on Netflix.
15. My Starbucks order: I am in between Starbucks orders. I had my coffee order down, of course, but then gave up coffee for tea. I had my tea order down, but have since given up splenda, which means I have yet to find a new tea order that doesn't make my mouth taste like cardboard. So. It's an ongoing battle. Thanks for asking.
16. My favorite curse word: Bloody hell. I lived in England for a while, what can I say?
17. My celebrity man crush: Gerard Butler and/or Jensen Ackles.
18. My celebrity girl crush: I love Jennifer Garner. Always have, always will.
19. My writer crush: I am in awe of so many writers, it's hard to pick a crush. It's more like a pantheon of greatness that makes me weep. But currently? Probably Nalini Singh, because, wow.
20. My last meal before execution: Something containing all the wheat, gluten, and dairy I don't eat now. Yum. Actually, at this point I would kill someone for a pizza.
21. Three words to summarize my book: A. Must. Read.
22. It took me _____ to write my book. Six weeks on the first draft (the draft reflected the speed) and then a long and painful revision process. I think in total it usually takes me about 3 months.
23. My book's original title: Untitled Book # 4
24. Right now, I'm working on: I am waiting for my next work-for-hire outline, so I am playing with ideas for my third Harlequin Presents novel (written by my alter-ego, Caitlin Crews) and for my next Megan Crane novel. Fun.
25. Chick Lit is alive & kicking because: It rocks!
Xoxo, Liz & Lisa