We knew when one of our favorite authors and people, Beth Harbison, called Robert Rave's second novel, Waxed, "Charming and hilarious...the perfect summer read and a ton of fun," that we had to check it out. And not surprisingly, Beth was right. Robert's writing is sassy, funny and overall brilliant. And the cover of his book is beyond! Waxed is the story of three relationship-challenged sisters who work at New York's hottest waxing salon. There's big sis, Carolina, who owns the salon and is caught in a love triangle. Then there's middle sis, Anna, who reluctantly joins the workforce after her divorce. And there's Sofia, a newlywed who doesn't know if she wants the domestic life or the night life. We loved this story about how some women will do anything to look the part. (Um, I think we can all relate ladies! Need we discuss our last Brazilian bikini wax or the endless hours spent getting weaved, plucked and otherwise prodded?) But what we really boned out on was that a story like this was written by a man!
And five of you will be the lucky winners of a copy of Waxed. Just leave a comment and your name will be entered. We'll randomly select the winners this Thursday!
After reading and loving Waxed, we knew Robert Rave would be perfect for our 7 Seconds in Heaven feature. He's a talented writer, funny and, well, easy on the eyes! And we were so right about him! In fact, he had us at Money Can't Buy You Class!
1. Quickest way to make me smile? Mention the words “satchels of gold” or start singing "Money Can't Buy You Class" and we’ll be fast friends. I admit it. I’m addicted to the The Real Houswives of New York and all of its craziness. Don’t get me wrong, I like high-brow cinema, literature and music too, but sometimes there’s nothing better than a little junk food television.
2. I was raised as a Midwestern “meat and potatoes” guy. However, within the last couple years I’ve become vegetarian and now I’m pretty much vegan. I’m not hardcore, but I’m pretty good. My parents are beside themselves about this. They think I’ve lost my mind and are completely baffled as to how I could give up a nice steak or cheeseburger. Theyhave told me repeatedly that it’s time I move out of California and back to the Midwest or at the very least to New York City where I lived for nine years.
3. I have a crazy sweet tooth. Cakes, cookies, and desserts are my thing. However, now those sweet-treats are (mostly) vegan. I make frequent trips to Babycakes bakery for their cupcakes and chocolate-chip cookie sandwiches. They are seriously incredible—you would never know that they are vegan. When I feel really inspired, I make their chocolate chip cookies at home. However, I end up giving most of them away because if left at my house, I will eat every last one.
4. Because of my love of baked goods, you’ll also find me religiously attending Barry’s Bootcamp to work off every last crumb. It’s probably one of the best workouts that I’ve ever done. I’ve completely changed my body because of it. I also have the most random ideas for novels while I’m working out there so I feel like I’m multi-tasking.
5. I have two French Bulldogs that act as my Xanax. I gave them old men names because it totally suits their personalities. My older dog was named after one of the characters from The Golden Girls. Completely and utterly embarrassing, I know.
6. I really want to be a Dad. Wow. It’s like I suddenly went from a light-hearted Q&A to filling out a match.com questionnaire. But it is true. It’s one of those things that has really been playing on my mind a lot lately. I think I would be okay if it didn’t happen for me, but I still like to imagine the possibility.
7. Next up for me is a non-fiction book from St. Martin’s in the fall of 2011. The title keeps changing so become a fan on Facebook or follow me on Twitter to learn more about it. Right now, I’m writing the outline for a series of books that I’m so beyond excited about I can’t even tell you. I don’t want to say anymore—but I love it.
Thanks so much, Robert!