We've got another fab new author for y'all today! And to make things even more fun, we've switched up our Lit IT Girl Qs too. We think you'll dig Isabelle Lafleche and her debut novel, J'Adore New York! It's stylish, sassy and fun-a great book to curl up by the fire with. Here's what's up with J'Adore New York: Offered the chance to transfer to her law firm’s New York City office, stylish Parisian lawyer Catherine Lambert jumps at the opportunity—a fashion devotee with her finger on the pulse of style, she sets her sights on conquering Manhattan’s high-flying worlds of glamour, law, and love tout de suite. But soon, the non-stop New York minute filled with monster bosses, lecherous clients, and vindictive secretaries begins to take its toll. That is, until one handsome and powerful client begins to change her world for the better…only to throw it all into jeopardy with one surprising request. Perfect for fans of Bridget Jones’s Diary, The Devil Wears Prada, and Sex in the City, Isabelle Lafleche’s breakout novel J’adore New York is a rollercoaster of struggle and romance from the city where dreams come true.
Sound fab? Then leave a comment and you'll be entered to win one of FIVE copies! We'll choose the winners on Sunday October 16th. Sorry, open to US residents only!
CHICK LIT IS NOT DEAD PRESENTS...LIT IT GIRL ISABELLE LAFLECHE
2. What's a line from your "favorite" rejection letter? We're not interested in your story but we see "lots of potential." Good luck!
3. What was the hardest part about writing your debut novel? The rewrites and corrections were pretty intense and brutal. In order to get to the finish line, I consumed gargantuous amounts of Red Bull ( don't try this at home, it's bad for your health!)
4. What is the best/worst advice you received while you were trying to break into the book biz?
Best: A friend in the publishing business suggested I contact a local publisher instead of going international. It was definitely the right thing to do for me.
Worst: To send your manuscript to agents and publishers quickly in order to get your foot in the door. Any novel needs time to mature and evolve. It's important to have several trusted friends who will provide honest feedback read it first. No one gets it right the first time, not even the pros.
5. How did you celebrate your book deal? With a Lady Dior handbag that I wear all the time. (Five years of blood, sweat and tears makes it worth it, non?)
6. Who is your writer crush?Candace Bushnell. I love how her writing keeps evolving and how she keeps surprising us with fabulous New York stories.
7. If you were stranded on a desert island and could have only one book, what would it be?The Great Gatsby. I can't get enough of that rarified world. I'm thrilled that a remake of the movie is currently in the works with Leonardo Di Caprio!
8. What's on your iPod right now?Jazz, The Black Eyed Peas, Adele, and lots of French music.
9. What's your #1 stress reliever? Running with Lady Gaga blasting in my ears. Nothing beats that.
10. Who/what would you place in the center of the Entertainment Weekly bullseye? Twitter is abuzz with reports that Marc Jacobs has been confirmed as the new Creative Director of Christian Dior, however at this stage no official sources have been released. I think it would be a fantastic move!
Thanks Isabelle! xoxo, L&L