Confession:we're total title whores. That's right-we can never resist a book with a fab title! And thankfully for us, most of the titles that have grabbed us have also turned out to be great books. And we'll just come out and say it-Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto had us at hello. Something about that title made us just know that it was going to be GREAT. It was really different than anything we'd read in a while-so refreshing! We give it two enthuiastic thumbs up- a little mystery, history and a bit of magic-an awesome combination. So you can imagine that we were super stoked when Samantha agreed to share her 5 Loves and a Dud with us.
Here's the low down on Before Ever After:Three years after her husband Max's death, Shelley feels no more adjusted to being a widow than she did that first terrible day. That is, until the doorbell rings. Standing on her front step is a young man who looks so much like Max–same smile, same eyes, same age, same adorable bump in his nose–he could be Max's long-lost relation. He introduces himself as Paolo, an Italian editor of American coffee table books, and shows Shelley some childhood photos. Paolo tells her that the man in the photos, the bearded man who Paolo says is his grandfather though he never seems to age, is Max. Her Max. And he is alive and well.
As outrageous as Paolo's claims seem–how could her husband be alive? And if he is, why hasn't he looked her up? – Shelley desperately wants to know the truth. She and Paolo jet across the globe to track Max down–if it is really Max– and along the way, Shelley recounts the European package tour where they had met. As she relives Max's stories of bloody Parisian barricades, medieval Austrian kitchens, and buried Roman boathouses, Shelley begins to piece together the story of who her husband was and what these new revelations mean for her "happily ever after." And as she and Paolo get closer to the truth, Shelley discovers that not all stories end where they are supposed to.
Sound great? Then leave a copy and you'll be entered to win one of FIVE copies. We'll choose the winners on Sunday December 18th after 6pm PST. Good luck!
CHICK LIT IS NOT DEAD PRESENTS...SAMANTHA SOTTO'S 5 LOVES AND A DUD
1. Doctor Who - 950 year old Time Lord from the Gallifrey travels through time in an old fashioned blue police box, saving mankind from ultimate destruction using only his wit, charm, and a sonic screwdriver. And did I mention that the 10th incarnation of the Doctor was played by David Tennant? What’s not to like about this campy British tv series?
2. Purple Yam Ice Cream – I know, I know. Stringing these four words together sounds like a crime but believe me, this ice cream flavor tastes better than it sounds. Pinky swear.
3. Bread Pudding – Bread. Cream. Raisins. Butter. Brown Sugar. Brandy. Enough said.
4. Baby Feet – Chubby, kissable, little round toes. God’s reward for mommies. You can nibble on them all day long without getting fat.
5. Angry Birds – This is a judgment-free zone, yes?
Can I name three?
1.) Hairy backs
2.) Hairy backs
3.) Hairy backs
Thanks Samantha! xoxo, L&L