We love memoirs over here at Chick Lit is not Dead, especially the ones that read like good fiction. You know, when you have to keep stopping and reminding yourself that these things ACTUALLY HAPPENED to the author! When Liz picked up Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal by Julie Metz in Target a few weeks ago, she was immediately drawn to Julie's amazing story. Because let's face it ladies-there's a part of us that loves to read about other people's dirty laundry!
Julie's life changed forever when her husband collapsed in her kitchen and died in her arms, leaving her a single mother in a small town. But that was only the beginning-she soon began to find out that he had hidden another life from her. Her narrative is honest and insightful, her storytelling pitch perfect. And as we did many times, you'll wonder what the hell you'd do if it had happened to you. You'll cheer for Julie as she begins to pick up the pieces of her broken life and rebuild.
But don't just take out word for it-Perfection quickly became a NYT bestseller upon it's release. AND Oprah thought Julie's story was so compelling that she invited her to be a guest! In fact, Julie's episode is re-airing this Friday, July 30th. Make sure to set your Tivo! Or you can find it here.
And we're so lucky that she's sharing not five, but EIGHT things we didn't know about her. And we were excited to discover that, like us, she has more books than she knows what to do with. And wait until you find out at what age she got her drivers license!
We also have three SIGNED copies to give away to our fabulouso readers. You know what to do-just leave a comment and we'll select the winners randomly this Friday evening.
CHICK LIT IS NOT DEAD PRESENTS: 8 THINGS LIZ & LISA DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT...JULIE METZ
1. I move houses more than I'd like...and every time I do...like now...I wish I didn't own quite so many books. But once they are unpacked it's like seeing old friends again.
2. I never really had a granny, but my old kitty Sweetie Pie kind of takes her place. She's a bit dottery but absolutely lovable, and still likes to show up for meals, ours most of all and always has something to say.
3. A lot of readers ask me when someone will make Perfection into a movie...the answer is, soon. I just sold the film option, so stay tuned!
4. I like telling my daughter a story about college, how we stole tea trays from the dorm kitchen one winter evening, and went sledding. Some apricot brandy was involved.
5. As a young woman I loved traveling alone and was surprisingly fearless. I still remember so many of the people I met on European trains and the chocolate covered cookies we shared—cheap and filling.
6. I finally quit smoking at 34...it took at least ten tries.
7. I learned to drive late, at 27. I have been to a hypnotist on two occasions hoping to overcome my fear of city driving.
8. I have a bit of a green thumb that always surprises me. I think it's because I talk to the plants. My mom always said it worked, so I have continued the tradition.
Thanks Julie! xoxo, Liz & Lisa