March is going to be a great month! Not only will we be featuring fantastic authors like Sarah Pekkanen and Jodi Picoult, we'll also be revealing the mystery author we've been hinting about on our Facebook fan page. But right now we're ecstatic to find out five things we didn't know about...Wendy Wax! We first discovered Wendy last year when we devoured THE ACCIDENTAL BESTSELLER, a wonderful story about four best friends who discover how little they know about each other. We LOVED it! Now comes MAGNOLIA WEDNESDAYS. After she's fired from her job as an investigative reporter, Vivian leaves the big city after her life falls apart to write an anonymous column about suburban life in the South. But after moving in with her recently widowed sister and her teenaged children, Vivian learns more about herself and the suburban life she mocks in her column than she could have ever imagined.
And we loved learning 5 things we didn't know about Wendy. We smiled at the very cool way Wendy met her husband and loved learning more about her secret chocolate addiction. And how can you resist anyone that quotes Gone With The Wind?
And, today, we have not one but TWO giveaways. We have three copies of MAGNOLIA WEDNESDAYS-just leave a comment and you'll be entered to win!
AND...you can also enter for a chance to win a cougar tank top from CougarsandCo.com by leaving a comment about which twenty-something you secretly pine over. (We have a special place in our cougar hearts for Robert Buckley!)
1. I met my husband completely by accident the first and only time I ever took the Carey Bus from JFK to Grand Central while visiting New York City. That was twenty-six years ago just after my mother, who thought I’d never fall in love or get married, asked, “What, do you think you’re going to be walking down the street and it’s just going to…happen?”
2. I’ve read Gone with the Wind way too many times. It’s the reason I originally chose to attend the University of Georgia even though I knew no one there, and why I’m able to recite large portions of dialogue by memory. I fell in love with Clark Gable the first time I saw the movie and have never understood how anyone could choose Ashley Wilkes over Rhett Butler. Ever. Under Any Circumstances.
Whenever possible during an argument with my husband, I try to work in at least one, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn!” and have even considered uttering the occasional ‘fiddle-dee-dee!”
Speaking at the Margaret Mitchell House last June when The Accidental Bestseller came out was an incredible thrill.
3. Birthdays in our family always begin with birthday cake (preferably chocolate) for breakfast. This began in my single days when a roommate and I started the tradition. It feels wonderfully decadent and allows you to get to the best part of the day first thing. I’m not all that into delayed gratification, which sometimes makes writing a four hundred page manuscript, well, difficult.
4. I hosted a live radio show in Tampa, Florida called, Desperate & Dateless, back when I was both. Every Friday from 8:00PM to Midnight I would take calls from men and women and match them up on the air.
One couple called into the show from their honeymoon to thank me. It was great to hear from them, but I thought they should have had better things to do!
5. I am a chocoholic. There, I’ve said it out loud. I’ve been this way since birth (I think it’s genetic) and crave it pretty much all the time. (Even at breakfast on my birthday—see #3 above) When I was pregnant with my sons, I considered it the fifth food group. A day without chocolate is, well, I don’t even want to go there!
xoxo, Liz & Lisa