Our guest today: Gigi Levangie Grazer Why we love her: We fell in love with her after we read her fabulous New York Times bestselling debut, The Starter Wife.
Her latest: The After Wife (July 10)
The scoop on it: L.A. is no place for widows. This is what forty-four-year-old Hannah Bernal quickly discovers after the tragic death of her handsome and loving husband, John. Misery and red-rimmed eyes are little tolerated in the land of the beautiful. But life stumbles on: Hannah’s sweet three-year-old daughter, Ellie, needs to be dropped off at her overpriced preschool, while Hannah herself must get back to work in order to pay the bills on “Casa Sugar,” the charming Spanish-styled bungalow they call home.
Fortunately, Hannah has her “Grief Team” for emotional support: earth mother and fanatical animal lover Chloe, who finds a potential blog post in every moment; aspiring actress Aimee, who has her cosmetic surgeon on speed dial; and Jay, Hannah’s TV producing partner, who has a penchant for Mr. Wrong. But after a series of mishaps and bizarre occurrences, one of which finds Hannah in a posh Santa Monica jail cell, her friends start to fear for her sanity. To make matters worse, John left their financial affairs in a disastrous state. And when Hannah is dramatically fired from her latest producing gig, she finds herself in danger of losing her house, her daughter, and her mind.
One night, standing in her backyard under a majestic avocado tree, in the throes of grief, Hannah breaks down and asks, “Why?” The answer that comes back—Why not?—begins an astounding journey of discovery and transformation that leads Hannah to her own truly extraordinary life after death.
Our thoughts: A hilarious page-turner. It's perfect to take on your vacay this summer.
Giveaway: FIVE copies! Leave a comment to be entered to win- we'll randomly select the winners on Sunday, July 15 after 3pm PST.
Fun fact: She's written numerous screenplays including Step-mom starring Julia Roberts.
CHICK LIT IS NOT DEAD PRESENTS...GIGI LEVANGIE GRAZER'S
5 12 THINGS I'D TELL THE TEEN ME
(She sent 12 and we loved them all!)
2. You will always have a soft spot for Justin Bieber, as I always have for Michael Jackson; your first crush fades but never goes away.
3. Finish college; you are smarter than you think you are.
4. Be fearless when it comes to your dreams; if you don’t feel confident, pretend until you do.
5. Work out regularly. Take a walk. Get outside. Breathe. Eat right 75% of the time, but always have chocolate on standby.
6. 15 is closer to 40 than you think.
7. You will like your looks better as you age – do not waste time lamenting your height, weight, chubby cheeks, bowl legs or curly hair.
8. That mean guy will never change – never will that nice guy, either.
9. It’s all going to be okay. Truly.
10. Don’t be distracted by bad boys, alcohol or drugs. All of them are addictions, and all wreak havoc on your skin and your life’s purpose.
11. Nothing is the end of the world. The end of the world is the end of the world.
12. Your parents were right.
Liz & Lisa